February 18, 2017
Stop & Shop NY Metro Division
Stop & Shop New England Division
STOP & SHOP ALERTS CUSTOMERS OF EXPANDED SARGENTO CHEESE RECALL
Purchase, NY & Quincy, MA (February 18, 2017) - Following an expanded recall by Sargento Foods Inc., The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC announced it removed from sale certain Sargento cheese products due to the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
The following products are included in this recall:
- Sargento Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040041 with code dates H04MAY17, S15MAY17, H01JUN17, H14JUN17 and H12JUL17
- Sargento Finely Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076 with code dates of H09MAY17, H08MAY17, H07MAY17 and F05JUL17
- Sargento Artisan Blends Double Cheddar Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040094 with code dates of H09JUN17 and H08JUN17
- Sargento Sliced Tomato & Basil Jack, 6.67 oz., UPC 4610000279 with a code date of 03MAR17B
- Sargento Sliced Muenster, 8 oz., UPC 4610000107 with code dates of 05MAR17F, 06MAR17F, 16APR17F, 17APR17F and 15APR17F
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack, 7.5 oz., UPC 4610000122 with a code date of 03MAY17B
Stop & Shop has received no reports of illnesses to date. Listeria is a common organism found in nature. Consumption of food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, an uncommon but potentially fatal disease. Healthy people rarely contract listeriosis. However, listeriosis can cause high fever, severe headache, neck stiffness and nausea. Listeriosis can also cause miscarriages and stillbirths, as well as serious and sometimes fatal infections in those with weakened immune systems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy.
Customers who have purchased these products should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to Stop & Shop for a full refund.
Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call Sargento at 800-243-3737. In addition, customers may call Stop & Shop Customer Service at 800-767-7772 for more information. Customers can also visit the Stop & Shop website at www.stopandshop.com
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC employs over 61,000 associates and operates 419 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey. The company helps support local communities fight hunger, combat childhood cancer and promote general health and wellness - with emphasis on children's educational and support programs. In its commitment to be a sustainable company, Stop & Shop is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and EPA's Smart Way program and has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores. Stop & Shop is an Ahold company. To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit www.stopandshop.com or www.facebook.com/stopandshop.