May 24, 2016
MARTIN’S ALERTS CUSTOMERS TO VOLUNTARY RECALL OF SUNFLOWER SEEDS PURCHASED ON THE SALAD BAR
Carlisle, PA. (June 5, 2016) - Following a recall by SunOpta, MARTIN’S Food Markets announced it removed from sale sunflower seeds sold on the salad bar due to the potential to be contaminated with Listeria Monocytogenes.
The following products are included in this recall:
- Sunflower seeds sold on the salad bar between May 20 – May 22, 2016 in the following MARTIN’S store locations only:
- 253 North Washington Highway, Ashland
- 12601 Jefferson Davis Highway, Chester
- 6401 Centralia Road, Chesterfield
- 3107-15 Blvd., Colonial Heights
- 10150 Brook Road, Glen Allen
- 10250 Staples Mill Road, Glen Allen
- 9645 West Broad Street, Glen Allen
- 7324 Bell Creek Road, Mechanicsville
- 200 Charter Colony Parkway, Midlothian
- 13700 Hull Street Road, Midlothian
- 3330 South Crater Road, Petersburg
- 5700 Brook Road, Richmond
- 5201 Chippenham Crossing Center, Richmond
- 7045 Forest Hill Ave., Richmond
- 10001 Hull Street Road, Richmond
- 2250 John Rolfe Parkway, Richmond
- 11361 Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond
- 3460 Pump Road, Richmond
- 4591 South Laburnum Road, Richmond
- 3000 Stony Point Road, Richmond
- 7035 Three Chopt Road, Richmond
- 3522 West Cary St., Richmond
- 4660 Monticello Ave., Williamsburg
MARTIN’S has received no reports of illnesses to date. Listeria is a common organism found in nature. Consumption of food contaminated with Listeria Monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, an uncommon but potentially fatal disease. Healthy people rarely contract listeriosis. However, listeriosis can cause high fever, severe headache, neck stiffness and nausea. Listeriosis can also cause miscarriages and stillbirths, as well as serious and sometimes fatal infections in those with weakened immune systems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy.
Customers who have purchased this product should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to MARTIN’S for a full refund.
Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call SunOpta at 888-886-4428. In addition customers may call MARTIN’S Customer Service at 1-888-814-4268 for more information. Customers can also visit the MARTIN'S websites.
GIANT/MARTIN’S is committed to working every day to help its customers save money, save time and eat well. Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 33,000 associates and is a division of Ahold USA. In addition to working with hundreds of local and regional organizations annually, GIANT/MARTIN’S has a long-standing focus on efforts to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children. GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. The company was also recognized as 2015 Chain Retailer of the Year by Grocery Headquarters. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites. Find GIANT and MARTIN'S on Facebook and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.