June 21, 2016
SIX SIZZLING SUMMER TIPS TO STAY HEALTHY FROM GIANT/MARTIN’S
Breakfast still the most important meal of the day
Carlisle, PA. (June 21, 2016) - With summer officially underway, nutritionists at GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets can help you stay healthy while on staycations and on-the-go this summer.
- Eat a Balanced Breakfast: Energize your morning with a balanced breakfast that includes fiber and protein. Easy grab-and-go options include muffins made with whole grains, peanut butter toast, smoothies, overnight oats, and of course fruit! Check out GIANT/MARTIN’S recipe for PB&J Surprise Muffins.
- Buy Local Produce: Take advantage of in-season produce grown at nearby farms and sold at GIANT/MARTIN’S stores. Choose fruits and veggies to complement your summer salads, snacks and cookouts.
- Mindful Eating Out: Pick better food options when traveling. Avoid foods with descriptive words such as “fried” and “smothered.” Instead, pick grilled lean meats like chicken, fish or turkey. Also be mindful of calorie filled side dishes and make sure you fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables.
- Relaxed Road Trips: Keep your energy levels high throughout the day. Combine carbs and protein for a balanced snack with trail mix, protein or granola bars, premade protein shakes, apples and nut butter, or dry roasted soy beans or chickpeas.
- Healthy Grilling: Choose cuts of meat that have less fat marbling such as sirloin or tenderloin and chicken or turkey breasts. When seasoning meat, fish or vegetables, keep it low in sodium by using fresh or dried herbs and spices.
- Stay Hydrated: Grab a cold bottle of water instead of sugary drinks in the summer. Water will keep you hydrated and you can change it up by infusing it with fresh berries, basil, cucumbers, mint or mix it up to satisfy your palate.
Stumped on quick and healthy recipe ideas? Pick up your free copy of Savory, available in-store, online, and through the app. Savory: fast, fresh and easy. You'll find recipes with only five ingredients, 15-minute meals, and much more!
GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionists are also available for individual consultations and classes on various topics such as cooking for one, weight loss, and snack ideas for the big game. Visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites for a complete list of upcoming free classes or to schedule an appointment. Individual consultations are $20 and participants receive back a $20 GIANT/MARTIN’S gift card upon completion.
Editor’s Note: If interested in an interview with one of GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionists about healthy snacks for summer, please contact Samantha Krepps at 717-240-1017 or [email protected]
GIANT/MARTIN’S is committed to working every day to help its customers save money, save time and eat well. Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 33,000 associates and is a division of Ahold USA. In addition to working with hundreds of local and regional organizations annually, GIANT/MARTIN’S has a long-standing focus on efforts to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children. GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. The company was also recognized as 2015 Chain Retailer of the Year by Grocery Headquarters. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites. Find GIANT and MARTIN'S on Facebook and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.