January 28, 2016
7 WAYS TO SCORE A TOUCHDOWN AT YOUR BIG GAME PARTY! GIANT/MARTIN’S helps football fans save time, save money and eat well
Carlisle, PA – Did you know Sunday, Feb. 7 will rank as the second largest food consumption day this year behind Thanksgiving? As you prepare for your upcoming football festivities, GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets are helping shoppers save time, save money and eat well with its top seven game day tips.
- Punt procrastination and plan ahead. Make a list of what you need to buy and also when you need to prepare it. Many dips and entrees can be prepared ahead of time so you’re not stuck in the kitchen on game day. Check out the latest edition of GIANT/MARTIN’S Savory magazine available in-store and online to round out your menu with new and easy recipes.
- Feed the 12th man with fan favorites. In the two weeks before the big game, GIANT/MARTIN’S will sell more than one million chicken wings in addition to soda, chips, dips and other snacks. Check the weekly circular because many snacking favorites are on sale leading up to kick-off.
- Onside options with Own Brand products. GIANT/MARTIN’S just launched a new line of its Limited Time Originals highlighting the flavors of maple and bacon. More than 50 products are available and include such varieties as bacon and maple ripple potato chips, bacon moonshine BBQ sauce, bacon wrapped beef franks stuffed with jalapeno and cheddar, and bacon flavored cashews and almonds. Or grab some Nature’s Promise snacks, free from unnecessary artificial ingredients like artificial colors, flavors and preservatives.
- Healthy huddle at the buffet. Believe it or not, according to the NPD Group, a market research firm that tracks Americans’ eating habits, veggies are the #1 food eaten in homes for the game during the last 30 years. Balance your plate by filling half of it with a variety of available fruits and vegetables and look for lean protein and whole grains. You can still enjoy some of your favorite dishes; just take small portions to sample.
- Two points for safety. Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold to prevent bacteria growth. If something has been out for two hours, refrigerate it promptly. When in doubt, throw it out.
- Great Entertaining time out. For those who may need an extra hand in the kitchen, GIANT/MARTIN’S makes game day preparation easy with a selection of Great Entertaining party trays, including sandwiches, wings, fried chicken, desserts and more available to order. Visit GIANT/MARTIN’S Great Entertaining website or order in-store at the deli, bakery, seafood or meat departments.
- Extra point for exercise. Arrange the buffet in another room to encourage guests to walk around and not remain glued to the couch. Or plan a family-friend game of touch football beforehand.
For more party planning tips, visit GIANT or MARTIN’S website for more details.
GIANT/MARTIN’S is committed to working every day to help its customers save money, save time and eat well. Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 33,000 associates and is a division of Ahold USA. In addition to working with hundreds of local and regional organizations annually, GIANT/MARTIN’S has a long-standing focus on efforts to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children. GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. The company was also recognized as 2015 Chain Retailer of the Year by Grocery Headquarters. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites. Find GIANT and MARTIN'S on Facebook and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.