October 20, 2015
TOP FIVE HALLOWEEN SWEET TREAT NUTRITION TIPS FROM GIANT/MARTIN’S
Carlisle, PA – In preparation for upcoming Halloween festivities with your little ghosts and goblins, GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets nutritionists are offering the top five tips to help shoppers and their families eat well.
- Think moderation. Before your little trick-or-treaters consume their weight in candy on Halloween night, teach them about balance and set a limit on the amount of candy they get. Keep the candy out of sight to prevent “mindless” snacking.
- Don’t trick-or-treat on an empty stomach. If kids are too hungry, they will most likely end up eating more candy. Instead plan ahead and eat a dinner of lean protein, fruits and vegetables, and whole grains beforehand to help the kids stay full longer. Staying hydrated helps too, so carry a water bottle with you.
- Pair Halloween candy with a nutrient rich food. Encourage children to enjoy their sweet treat with a nutritious glass of milk or a serving of fruit.
- Alternatives to candy. Instead of candy, try offering some other fun alternatives for your trick-or-treaters. Individually packaged popcorn or kettle corn, granola bars, animal crackers, 100% juice boxes, pre-packaged trail mixes, nuts, pretzels or raisins are a good mix for kids. You could even try non-food items such as Halloween-themed pencils, erasers, stickers or crayons.
- Consider participating in the Teal Pumpkin Project. Launched nationally last year by Food Allergy Research & Education, the project raises awareness of food allergies and promotes inclusion of all trick-or-treaters. Provide non-food treats for your trick- or-treaters and paint a pumpkin teal in front of your home along with a sign. This lets parents of children with food allergies know that you have non-food treats available.
Editor’s Note: If interested in an interview with one of GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionists about Halloween tips, please contact Samantha Krepps at 717-240-1017 or [email protected].
GIANT/MARTIN’S is committed to helping its customers save money, save time and eat well. Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 33,000 associates and is a division of Ahold USA. In addition to working with hundreds of local and regional organizations annually, GIANT/MARTIN’S has a long-standing focus on efforts to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children. GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. The company was also recognized as 2015 Chain Retailer of the Year by Grocery Headquarters. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites. Find GIANT and MARTIN'S on Facebook and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.