February 4, 2016
LOVE YOUR HEART DURING FEBRUARY’S HEART MONTH AND ALL YEAR LONG GIANT/MARTIN’S offer heart healthy tips and free screenings
Carlisle, PA – In recognition of February’s American Heart Month, the nutritionists and pharmacists at GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets are helping you show your heart some love.
Elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of having a heart attack or developing heart disease in both men and women. GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionists share four easy ways to help you lower your blood lipids and maintain healthy levels:
- Increase intake of soluble fiber. This can be achieved by eating the following foods:
- At least 2 cups of legumes (dried peas and beans) such as black beans, lentils, and chickpeas, each week. Replace each ounce of meat you usually eat with ¼ cup cooked legumes or try them in your salads, soups or blended and used as a dip such as hummus for crackers and vegetables.
- Have one serving of food made from whole grain oats each day.
- Consume fruits and veggies every day, especially Brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots, dark green leafy veggies, sweet potatoes, apples, pears, plums and citrus fruit.
- Switch up fats. Keep saturated fat to less than 10% of your daily calories and avoid artery clogging trans-fats. Some higher fat foods such as walnuts, almonds, tuna, salmon, olive oil and ground flaxseeds, are encouraged because they may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Decrease added sugars and refined grains. Consuming excessive amounts of added sugars and refined grains may increase your triglyceride levels. Keep added sugars to less than 10% of your daily calories and choose whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta, oats, and quinoa.
- To improve overall heart health, the American Heart Association recommends moderate exercise for at least 30 minutes, 5 days per week. If you are already active, gradually work to increase duration or intensity to continue challenging yourself. If you are not currently active, work toward your overall goal by slowly increasing duration as you are able. Always check with your doctor before beginning any exercise program.
For more information on starting a heart-healthy diet and lifestyle, talk with your physician, schedule an appointment with a GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionist or visit GIANT or MARTIN’S websites.
In an effort to help customers stay healthy, GIANT/MARTIN’S are offering free health screenings at select in-store pharmacies on Saturday, Feb. 20 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Customers can receive free blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol screenings. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S pharmacists can help determine if you are missing any recommended adult vaccinations. No appointment is necessary.
The free health screenings are available at the following GIANT pharmacies on Feb. 20:
- 141 East Swedesford Rd., Exton, PA
- 173 Holly Rd., Gilbertsville, PA
- 4211 Union Deposit Rd., Harrisburg, PA
- 1540 Cowpath Rd., Hatfield, PA
- 70 S. Locust St., Hazleton, PA
- 1880 Leithsville Rd., Hellertown, PA
- 1605 Lititz Pike, Lancaster, PA
- 224 Hardwood Dr., Lewisburg, PA
- 255 Cumberland Parkway, Mechanicsburg, PA
- 700 Nutt Rd., Phoenixville, PA
- 967 S. Township Line Rd., Royersford, PA
- 330 Marketplace Blvd., Selinsgrove, PA
- 721 W. Sproul Rd., Springfield, PA
- 1255 Carlisle Rd., York, PA
And at the following MARTIN’S pharmacies:
- 1000 Logan Blvd., Altoona, PA
- 10150 Brook Rd., Glen Allen, VA
- 10250 Staples Mill Rd., Glen Allen, VA
- 200 Charter Colony Pkwy., Midlothian, VA
- 7045 Forest Hill Ave., Richmond, VA
Throughout the month of February, GIANT/MARTIN’S is also offering customers ways to save on heart healthy items. If customers spend $20 in one purchase on any combination of Bayer Asprin, Coricidin, CareOne 81mg Asprin, Ecotrin Asprin, CareOne Heart Health Vitamins, Nature’s Promise Heart Health Vitamins or Bayer Pro Omega 3, they will receive $5 off of any seafood purchase.
Editor’s Note: If interested in an interview with one of GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionists about nutrition and heart health, please contact Samantha Krepps at 717-240-1017 or [email protected]
GIANT/MARTIN’S is committed to working every day to help its customers save money, save time and eat well. Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 33,000 associates and is a division of Ahold USA. In addition to working with hundreds of local and regional organizations annually, GIANT/MARTIN’S has a long-standing focus on efforts to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children. GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. The company was also recognized as 2015 Chain Retailer of the Year by Grocery Headquarters. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites. Find GIANT and MARTIN'S on Facebook and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.