March 15, 2013Christopher Brand
MARTIN’S ACHIEVES RECORD-BREAKING DONATIONS IN 2012
$2.2 million in Richmond and Williamsburg donated back to local communities served
Carlisle, PA – As the company embarks on its 90th anniversary, officials at MARTIN’S Food Markets today announced that charitable donations made in 2012 as part of the companies’ “Living Here, Giving Here” program totaled $2,229,959 in the greater Richmond and Williamsburg communities. MARTIN’S “Living Here, Giving Here” donations supported FeedMore and other local hunger relief organizations, Richmond SPCA, Salvation Army, area Christmas Mothers, more than 300 schools, the United Way, USO of Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia, and hundreds of local non-profit groups.
“MARTIN’S is so proud to be part of the vibrant Richmond and Williamsburg communities, and I want to thank all of our associates for their passion and enthusiasm as we brought our charitable giving to a new height in 2012,” said Jim Scanlon, regional vice president. “Along with our associates, customers, and vendors, we believe we can make a difference in the lives of children and help eradicate hunger within the neighborhoods we serve.”
Here are the major highlights of MARTIN’S community giving programs in the greater Richmond and Williamsburg communities in 2012:
- Regional Food Banks – In 2012, FeedMore and numerous local pantries collectively received a total of $1.3 million in donations from MARTIN’S. This total includes bakery and meat items donated from stores to FeedMore, local pantries and soup kitchens. MARTIN’S also partnered with Nestle to donate $25,000 to FeedMore. For the 8th Annual Hokies vs. ‘Hoos Food Fight, store teams collected food items and cash donation from customers at all Richmond area locations.
"Learning of the depth of MARTIN’S partnership with FeedMore has been one of the highlights of my new role. MARTIN’S donates thousands of pounds of food and thousands of dollars every year,” said Doug Pick, FeedMore CEO. “They help build community awareness about the need for hunger relief through in-store messaging, event sponsorships, and creative fun like their annual donation of 1,000 turkeys in November, unloaded by the University of Richmond football team! Hunger is a real issue in our community, and MARTIN’S is right there beside us helping assure that none shall go hungry.”
- Salvation Army and Christmas Mothers – MARTIN’S customers and associates also gave generously during the Share a Holiday Meal program to help Richmond and Williamsburg area families in need during the holiday season donating $102,350. The donation supported Christmas Mother campaigns in Chesterfield/Colonial Heights, Hanover and Henrico, Salvation Army Central Virginia Command and Salvation Army of Williamsburg.
- SPCA – In 2012, MARTIN’S continued its strong support of the Richmond SPCA’s humane efforts by donating its own Companion brand pet food in the amount of $39,964. “The remarkably generous donations of pet food that MARTIN’S has given us since they entered the Richmond market have provided healthy food to an average of 350 wonderful homeless pets every day in our humane center all year long,” said Robin Robertson Starr, chief executive officer of Richmond SPCA. “Not having to purchase pet food represents a tremendous savings of $40,000 annually, which has allowed us to use our precious resources to save the lives of thousands more animals than we could have otherwise and to provide so many people with the joy of a loving, lifetime companion.”
- Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals (CMN) – In 2012, a total of $3.1 million was donated to assist eight CMN hospitals in providing medical care, life-saving research, and preventative education to help millions of kids overcome diseases and injuries. In Richmond, MARTIN’S donated $28,981 to Children's Hospital of Richmond.
- Local Schools – Through MARTIN’S A+ School Rewards program, more than 300 public and private schools in the greater Richmond and Williamsburg communities received $131,307 to help fund scholarship programs, technology initiatives, sports equipment, and other educational needs. Mills E. Godwin High School in Richmond, VA was the top local school this year, earning $9,251. For a complete listing of schools, visit www.martinsaplus.com.
- United Way – Associate and corporate contributions to the United Way of Greater Richmond and Petersburg totaled approximately $94,535 in 2012.
- Troop Support – The grocer’s annual “Support Our Troops” in-store campaign, raised $12,324 for USO of Hampton Roads and Central Virginia. For the second year, MARTIN’S also partnered with the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, hosting toy collection bins at all stores.
- Local Community Support – In 2012, MARTIN’S committed more than $493,961 in contributions to local community groups and various nonprofit organizations throughout its market area, impacting tens of thousands of individuals and families.
In addition to financial support, MARTIN’S associates at both the store and corporate level also volunteered thousands of hours of their time with various community and nonprofit organizations. GIANT/MARTIN’S will continue its strong commitment to the communities it serves as it celebrates its 90th anniversary in 2013 with special events, community donations, anniversary promotions, and in-store celebrations.
Celebrating its 90th anniversary in 2013, GIANT/MARTIN’S, headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 31,000 associates. Founded in 1923, GIANT and MARTIN’S have a long-standing commitment to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children in addition to working with hundreds of local organizations annually. The company was recognized for its leadership in the fight against hunger with the Golden Grocer Award by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. GIANT and MARTIN’S are Ahold companies. For more information visit www.GiantFoodStores.com and www.MartinsFoods.com. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/giantfoodstores and facebook.com/martinsfoods.