November 15, 2014
GIANT/MARTIN’S ALERTS CUSTOMERS TO VOLUNTARY RECALL OF CERTAIN ORTEGA TACO PRODUCTS
Carlisle, PA – Following a recall by B&G Foods, Inc., GIANT Food Stores, LLC and MARTIN’S Food Markets announced it removed from sale certain Ortega Taco products after learning that one or more of the spice ingredients may contain peanuts and almonds, allergens that are not listed on the ingredient label. These products are safe to consume for individuals who do not suffer from peanut or almond allergies.
The following products are included in this recall:
- Ortega Taco Mix, 1.25 oz., UPC 3900000820 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2016 - Nov 3, 2016
- Ortega LS Taco Seasoning, 1.25 oz., UPC 4150100824 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2016 - Nov 3, 2016
- Ortega Hardsoft Taco Kit, 21.3 oz., UPC 4150101015 with a best by date range of May 18, 2015 - Feb 10, 2016
- Ortega Taco Dinner Kit, 10 oz., UPC 3900000805 with a best by date range of May 18, 2015 - Feb 10, 2016
- Ortega Medium Taco Sauce, 8 oz., UPC 3900001892 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2017 - Nov 10, 2017
- Ortega Mild Taco Sauce, 8 oz., UPC 3900000890 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2017 - Nov 10, 2017
- Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix 3 pack, 3.75 oz., UPC 3900000821 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2016 - Nov 3, 2016
- Ortega Soft Taco Kit, 15.2 oz., UPC 3900001012 with a best by date range of May 18, 2015 - Feb 10, 2016
- Ortega Taco Sauce - Medium, 16 oz., UPC 3900001894 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2017 - Nov 10, 2017
- Ortega Taco Sauce - Mild, 16 oz., UPC 3900001893 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2017 - Nov 10, 2017
GIANT/MARTIN’S has received no reports of illnesses to date. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts or almonds may run the risk of serious or life- threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products. Symptoms of food allergies typically appear from within a few minutes to two hours after a person has eaten the food to which he or she is allergic. Allergic reactions can include: hives; flushed skin or rash; tingling or itchy sensation in the mouth; face, tongue, or lip swelling; vomiting and/or diarrhea; abdominal cramps; coughing or wheezing; dizziness and/or lightheadedness; swelling of the throat and vocal cords; difficulty breathing; loss of consciousness.
Customers who have purchased these products should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to GIANT/MARTIN’S for a full refund.
Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call B&G Foods at 877- 929-2576. In addition customers may call GIANT/MARTIN’S Customer Service at 1- 888-814-4268 for more information. Customers can also visit the GIANT/MARTIN’S websites at www.giantfoodstores.com or www.martinsfoods.com.
Headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 31,000 associates. Founded in 1923, GIANT and MARTIN’S have a long-standing commitment to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children in addition to working with hundreds of local organizations annually. The company was recognized for its leadership in the fight against hunger with the Golden Grocer Award by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. GIANT and MARTIN’S are Ahold companies. For more information visit www.GiantFoodStores.com and www.MartinsFoods.com. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/giantfoodstores and facebook.com/martinsfoods and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.