November 21, 2014
GIANT & MARTIN’S ARE TALKIN’ TURKEY
Carlisle, PA – With Thanksgiving less than one week away, GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets are offering a few helpful tips to remember when it comes to preparing the centerpiece of your holiday meal – the turkey!
- How big of a turkey should you buy? Plan on 1 ¼ lb. per person or 1 ½ lbs. per person if you plan to have leftovers. Leftover turkey can be kept for 3 to 4 days.
- If you choose to buy a frozen bird, make sure you have adequate storage space in your freezer. Allow enough time to defrost your turkey in the refrigerator. Never thaw at room temperature. A bird under 12 lbs. will take 1-2 days, but a large one of 20-24 lbs. will take 4-5 days.
- Purchase a turkey with a sell-by date of no more than two days before the day you plan to cook the bird. If you choose to buy a fresh turkey, cook or freeze it by the “use by date” on the label.
- Be sure to always wash hands, utensils and surfaces used to thaw the turkey with soap and hot water to prevent cross-contamination with your other Thanksgiving foods.
- Turkey should be cooked until well done and no longer pink inside. Insert a meat thermometer into the meatiest part of the turkey. When the turkey is done, all internal temperatures should be 165 degrees F or higher.
- For optimal food safety, cook the stuffing separately in a casserole dish. If you do place stuffing inside the bird, do so right before cooking. Stuff the cavity loosely and no more than two-thirds full. The internal temperature of the center of the stuffing should reach at least 165 degrees F. Remove the stuffing from the turkey immediately after cooking.
- Got leftovers? Remember the two-hour rule when serving your Thanksgiving dinner. Perishable foods need to be removed from the table and refrigerated promptly.
GIANT/MARTIN’S Food Markets are once again reminding their shoppers to redeem their Free Turkey Extra Reward certificates now through November 29 at the register. Customers with 400 extra reward points earned through November 15 are eligible for the free turkey certificate. Customers also have the opportunity to help their less fortunate neighbors by donating their Free Turkey Extra Reward certificate to their local regional food bank at any GIANT/MARTIN’S location.
Don’t feel like cooking this year? Start a new tradition and let GIANT/MARTIN’S take care of the cooking! A complete Thanksgiving dinner for 6-10 people is available to order for just $49.99. It includes all of the favorites including a fully cooked Butterball turkey, mashed potatoes, home style gravy, herb stuffing, cranberry relish, dinner rolls and a bakery pie for dessert. Just allow 2 to 2 ½ hours to heat and then serve. But hurry, the Thanksgiving dinner deadline to place your order at your local GIANT/MARTIN’S is Monday, November 24 by noon.
For more Thanksgiving tips and recipes, visit www.giantfoodstores.com or www.martinsfoods.com.
Headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 31,000 associates. Founded in 1923, GIANT and MARTIN’S have a long-standing commitment to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children in addition to working with hundreds of local organizations annually. The company was recognized for its leadership in the fight against hunger with the Golden Grocer Award by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund- raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. GIANT and MARTIN’S are Ahold companies. For more information visit www.GiantFoodStores.com and www.MartinsFoods.com. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/giantfoodstores and facebook.com/martinsfoods and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.