FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
GIANT AND MARTIN’S PHARMACISTS TO OFFER FREE HEALTH SCREENINGS FEBRUARY 9
Show your heart and your health some love this February
Carlisle, PA (Feb 5, 2019) – As part of its commitment toward building healthier communities, the pharmacists at GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets are offering free health screenings at 25 in-store pharmacies on Saturday, Feb. 9 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Customers can receive free blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol screenings. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S pharmacists can help determine if customers are missing any recommended adult immunizations with just a few simple questions. No appointment is necessary.
The free health screenings are available at the following GIANT pharmacies in Pennsylvania:
- 539 North Oak Ave., Aldan
- 3400 Concord Road, Aston
- 2721 Street Road, Bensalem
- 50 Briar Creek Plaza, Berwick
- 2910 Springfield Road, Broomall
- 3301 Trindle Road, Camp Hill
- 216 E. Fairmont St., Coopersburg
- 801 S. 24th St., Easton
- 301 Town Center Blvd., Easton
- 176 W. Street Road, Feasterville
- 4211 Union Deposit Road, Harrisburg
- 70 S. Locust St., Hazleton
- 1880 Leithsville Road, Hellerstown
- 1008 Lititz Pike, Lititz
- 255 Cumberland Parkway, Mechanicsburg
- 450 East Main St., Middletown
- 700 Nutt Road, Phoenixville
- 3477 Lincoln Highway, Thorndale
- 275 Pauline Drive, York
And at the following MARTIN'S pharmacies in Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia:
- 1650 C Wesel Blvd., Hagerstown, Md.
- 2035 East market St., Harrisonburg, Va.
- 901 Foxcroft AVe., Martinsburg, W.Va.
- 1015 Richmond Road, Staunton, Va.
- 100 Rivendell Court, Winchester, Va.
- 1950 S. Pleasant Valley Road, Winchester, Va.
“If you’ve let your health and wellness resolutions slide in recent weeks, American Heart Month in February is a great time to kick start them again and show both your heart and your overall health some love,” said Leigh Shirley, director of pharmacy operations, GIANT Food Stores. “Customers should feel free to stop in to speak with any of our friendly pharmacists anytime with questions regarding medications, vaccinations, or general health-related questions.”
As a full-service pharmacy, GIANT/MARTIN’S stores are ready to help customers meet their health and wellness needs. Most pharmacies offer blood pressure checks with higi stations for customers to utilize. Additionally, GIANT/MARTIN’S pharmacists offer adult immunization reviews and administer adult vaccinations, subject to state regulations, including those for influenza, pneumonia and shingles.
“In addition to keeping up to date with your medications and screening tests, living a healthy lifestyle, which includes eating right, is one of the main ways you can take control of your health and reduce your risk of heart disease,” added Sarah Glunz, MS, CNS, LDN, nutritionist with GIANT/MARTIN’S.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States for both men and women. While GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionists recommend first speaking with your doctor before beginning any new diet or exercise regime, they do have a few quick “heart healthy” tips to keep in mind while shopping the grocery aisles:
- Choose more fruits & veggies. A diet high in fiber helps reduce blood cholesterol levels, may lower risk of heart disease, and helps keep you full in between each meal and snack.
- Look for lean meats. Cuts labeled “loin” or “round” usually have the least fat. Also look for skinless poultry as the majority of fat is in the skin. Try swapping animal protein for plant proteins like beans and lentils which contain fiber as well as other plant nutrients that keep your heart healthy.
- Choose fish like salmon, trout, sardines, or tuna, at least twice per week for its omega-3 fatty acids.
- Go nuts. Most nuts and nut butters contain a bonus of heart friendly monounsaturated fats, which can help balance out the good and bad cholesterol.
- Skip the salt. Reduce sodium by preparing more meals at home, limiting processed foods, adding more herbs and spices to your dishes, and rinsing canned vegetables under cold water before preparing.
EDITOR'S NOTE: GIANT/MARTIN’S pharmacists and nutritionists are available for media interviews about heart health, nutrition and wellness upon request.
About GIANT Food Stores, LLC
GIANT Food Stores, LLC has more than 170 neighborhood stores and offers home delivery, online/mobile ordering, fuel centers, pharmacies, plus in-store nutritionists. Serving families in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, GIANT Food Stores is proud to employ nearly 30,000 associates who believe in giving back to their community. The GIANT Family of Brands includes GIANT, MARTIN'S Food Markets, and GIANT Heirloom Market. Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT Food Stores is a company of Ahold Delhaize. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites.